A single opportunity can live in any pipeline, but you may want to change the fields displayed on the opportunity depending on the pipeline it's currently in. Or you may have users who only work in one of your pipelines and shouldn't see fields that are displayed on opportunties in another pipeline. Custom layouts give you the opportunity to customize your fields per pipeline.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
To get a clear understanding of how this feature might benefit your workflow, let's look at an example:
You have a Sales Team and an Onboarding team. When Sales finishes working on an opportunity, they move it over to Onboarding's pipeline in ProsperWorks. The Sales team would need to fill out opportunity fields for things like what tools the prospect used in the past, and what pain points they want to focus on. The Onboarding team then fills out opportunity fields for things like number of users, and products purchased. Neither team needs to see the other team's fields.
Using Custom Layouts, you can prevent the Sales team from seeing the 'Number of Users' and 'Products Purchased' fields while in the Sales pipeline. When the Sales team moves the opportunity into the Onboarding pipeline, those fields become visible, and the 'Tools' and 'Pain Points' fields become hidden. This helps the teams focus on the relevant information to their work.
Custom Layouts let administrators create a separate page layout for opportunities for each pipeline. A field can either live in an opportunity across all pipelines, or a field can be specific to one pipeline. Each layout can independently specify in what order data fields are displayed and which fields are hidden (invisible) based on the pipeline designation.
You can still update the information. It's not lost. It is just hidden from your default view.
When your users create or update opportunities, the layout of the opportunity changes based on the specific pipeline the opportunity is in and the settings the Admin configured for the pipeline.
When users change the pipeline designation of an opportunity, the layout of the opportunity is updated immediately to reflect the new pipeline’s layout.
Some important considerations for custom layouts include:
- This is not a data security tool. All teams will still have access to any information you have not put special permissions on.
- Custom filtered lists do not respect the different custom layouts. The list of fields available for filtering and the order in which they are presented in custom filtered lists is not impacted by the pipeline’s layout.
- Data exports do not respect the different custom layouts. Data export files will always have the default field order and will include fields that are otherwise invisible on the layout.
- The dev API does not respect the different custom layouts. Dev API data will always have the default field order and will include fields that are otherwise invisible on the layout.
To determine if you need custom layouts per pipeline and how you'll use them, ask yourself the questions below:
- Do you have or need more than one pipeline?
- Check out the 'Working with Multiple Pipelines' article for help answering this question.
- It's a best practice to give your team members access to just the information they need to execute their daily tasks. Having access to information they don't need can confuse or clutter their work. Write down the information each team needs to collect and/or see on an opportunity.
- If each team should see the same information, you don't need to build custom layouts.
- If each team should see different information, custom layouts could help you clean up their workflows.
Your account admin will need to configure this feature for the system.
To edit your pipeline layouts, please follow the instructions below:
- Sign into your ProsperWorks account, and click 'Settings' from the left-hand menu.
- Choose 'Field Settings' from the 'Customize ProsperWorks' section.
- Click Opportunities from across the top of the page.
- If you want to specify a single pipeline for this field to appear on opportunities in, select the pipeline from the drop-down menu in the top left of the page.
- Click the blue 'Add Field' button.
- In the pop-up window that appears, choose individual pipelines you'd like this field to show up in, or choose 'All Pipelines.'
- Click 'Add Field' when you're done.
Note: If you accidentally create an opportunity field from the 'Create New Field' blue button on the main page of Settings > Field Settings, you can still influence which pipelines that field shows up on. Just head over to the 'Opportunities' section of the page, and make a selection from the 'Pipeline' drop-down menu. Then deactivate any fields you do not want showing up on opportunities in that pipeline.
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.