A project is an undertaking that can be moved from open to completed. It's not a single meeting or phone call (like a task), but an ongoing effort to achieve a goal. It's different from an opportunity because a project does not hold a specific monetary value for your business like an opportunity does.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
To better understand why you might use projects, let's look at an example:
Let's say you're an Apartment Manager. Every time a renter moves out, you have to schedule an apartment cleaning. This may include tasks, such as a phone call to the cleaner, an in-person meeting with the cleaner to let them in the building and a final inspection. Each of those actions could be represented in ProsperWorks as a task under the Apartment Cleaning Project. Each apartment cleaning project shows up on your 'Projects' page, where you can see the status of open or completed:
Similar to tasks, projects can be created as needed. They are a means of achieving a goal, but not an essential record that moves through your pipeline like a person, company or opportunity. A project might be created if:
1. You need to track and manage a process from open to close.
2. This process does not directly hold a monetary value. In other words, this is not a business deal or a sale that you need to move through your pipeline.
3. You have multiple tasks you want to associate together.
To create a project, follow these steps:
1. Sign into your ProsperWorks account, and select the 'Projects' icon from the lefthand menu.
2. Click the blue 'Add New' button.
3. You're only required to give the project a name to start, but there are several other default fields you can fill out:
Let's look at each of these additional fields
- Related To: Enter the name of a person, company, opportunity or task that's related to this project.
- Owner: This will be you by default, but you can switch it to another user.
- Status: Open or completed.
- Visibility: Choose between 'Use Team Visibility Settings' or 'Manually Set Visibility.'
- Description: Describe the nature of the task.
- Tags: Add tags to the task for context
- Add Custom Fields: You can create your own fields to fill out in your account's projects to make them more relevant to your workflow.
Fill out these options
4. Click 'Save.'
Once a project is created, the resulting project page looks like this:
On the left, we have the project's details, such as who owns it and who can see it.
To the right, you can see the people, companies, tasks, files and opportunities associated with this project. Note that files can only be added once the project is saved; they can't be added at project creation.
Note: Projects can also be created in the ProsperWorks web app, via the Gmail extension, or on the mobile app.