Tasks have both short-term and long-term benefits to your workflow. Short-term, a task helps remind your team to attend a meeting, call a client or take action on another to-do list item. Long-term, you can report on the volume of these activity types and how long they're taking. This will help you fine-tune your workflow. The 'Activity Type' field on tasks helps you create this type of report.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
When you create a task, you have the option to indicate an Activity Type. For example, is the action a phone call, a meeting, or something else?
You can also add custom activity types to tailor ProsperWorks to your workflow.
You can make Activity Types even more meaningful after you complete the task. There are two ways to do this:
1. You can count all activity types (except to-do's) as interactions and track them under the individual lead, person, company or opportunity record. This helps you understand how frequently you're interacting with a contact and when the last interaction took place.
2. If you're on the Professional or Business plan, you can send all activity types to the 'Activity by User' report. This lets you see the volume of tasks by each activity type, each of your users and by any time period you specify.
Let's look at how each of these options play out:
First, we'll explore the interactions feature at the record level. In the screencast below, we click the checkbox to complete a task and a notification appears toward the bottom of the screen. This notification confirms the task is complete and offers an option to 'Log Activity.' When we click 'Log Activity,' we leave final notes about the completion. Above the space where we leave notes is the 'Activity Type,' which you can leave as is or change before saving.
In the next screenshot, you'll see the result of clicking 'Log Activity' at the record level. In this example, we can see the number of interactions, the date of the most recent interaction and the number of inactive days associated with the Lead named Pam Beesley.
Note: You cannot log an activity for a task that is not associated with any record (i.e. lead, person, company, opportunity, or project). When you mark an unassociated task as complete, the notification that confirms the completion won't have a 'Log Activity' option.
Next, let's take a look at how logging activity shows up in the 'Activity by User' report. If you're on the Professional or Business plans, you'll see this pre-built report under the 'Reports' section of the lefthand menu. This allows you to view interactions within a specific time period, by user and by interaction type.
For help deciding how you'll use the Activity Type field on tasks, ask yourself the following questions:
1. To move your opportunities forward, will your tasks require more than a phone call, meeting or to-do?
If yes, create custom activity types.
2. Is it important to know how long it's been since you're interacted with a contact, or how many times you've interacted?
If yes, you should not use the 'to-do' activity type, as any task marked as 'to-do' won't count as an interaction. You can use 'phone call' or 'meeting' and you can create custom activity types. To ensure the completion of a task gets recorded to a record, you'll want to ensure your team members log activity type after marking a task as complete.
3. Do you want to report on any of the following:
- How many interactions are each of my team members having across all contacts?
- What are the most common interactions each team member has?
- What is the total of each interaction type across a specific time period?
If yes, you'll want to ensure your team members log activity type after marking a task as complete.
Your admins can add new Activity Types beyond 'meeting,' 'phone call' and 'to-do.' Just follow the steps below:
1. Sign into your ProsperWorks account and click Settings from the lefthand menu.
2. Scroll down to the 'Customize ProsperWorks' section and click 'Activity Type.'
3. Click the 'Create new activity type' blue button.
4. Give the activity type a name, select an icon to represent it in the activity feed and choose whether you'd like it to count as an interaction.
5. Click 'Save.'
To make a task count as an interaction with a contact and to make the activity type show up in your 'Activity by User' report, you'll need to log the activity type associated with the task after you mark the task as complete. Follow the instructions below to accomplish this:
1. Sign into your ProsperWorks Account and click Tasks from the lefthand menu.
2. Hover over the circle to the left of the task name and click the square that appears.
3. Look for the notification pop-up letting you know the task was saved. Click the 'Log Activity' link in that notification.
4. Leave notes indicating what happened in the interaction and select the appropriate 'Activity Type' if it's not currently set to the one you want.
5. Click the 'Log Activity' button to save your update.
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.