People are your contacts. These are the human beings you need to communicate with in order to move a business deal forward.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
A person is a contact who is ready to formally evaluate your product or service. This is different from a lead, who just represents potential business. The illustration below shows how leads, people, companies and opportunities are related to one another:
A person is often related to a company. There might be several person records related to that company if you're working with multiple contacts to evaluate your product or service. There are also cases where a Person is not linked to a company. For example, if I am a Dentist, I am primarily interested in keeping track of my patients, but not necessarily the companies they work for. In ProsperWorks, either of these scenarios is okay. We don't force you to link people to a company. You have the ability to choose whether they are linked or not.
To understand how you'll work with people records, ask yourself the following questions:
- Will you vet your contacts before deciding to do business with them?
- If no, move on to question 2.
- If yes, you'll add contacts to ProsperWorks as leads first, then convert them to people once they're qualified.
- Who are the contacts you're going to do business with?
- If you're b2c, you'll add each contact as a person.
- If you're b2b, you'll still need a person to communicate with on behalf of the client business. You can add these people and associate the person record with the company record of the client business.
- Sign into your ProsperWorks account and click 'People' from the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click the blue 'Add New' button.
- You're required to give this person a name. Every other default field on the lightbox that appears is optional.
- Click 'Save.'
Once a person has been created, the resulting record looks like this:
On the left, you'll see all the default and custom fields you've chosen to display for people. This gives you context for who the person is. You might notice that some information you did not add to these fields is pre-populated; things like the LinkedIn profile or the customer's address. You can learn more about how we find this information and populate it for you.
In the center, you'll see your interaction stats, which help keep you on track with the frequency of your communication. Below that you have your activity log, where you can see the details of each interaction you've had with the person and any updates that have happened on the person record. You can @mention other users to follow up with this person or take action on a task associated with this person. You can also filter this log to see relevant events.
When we confirm that a lead wants to formally evaluate our product or service, we refer to them as being "qualified", and the potential customer leaves the realm of our marketing efforts, and begins the first step in the Sales process. At this point, we typically need to capture more information about the person, their company, and the potential deal, in order to help us win their business. This is why after being "converted," we take a lead's information, and convert it to a person record. To do this, just follow the instructions below:
- Click a name from the 'First Name' column in your list of leads.
- Click the 'Convert lead' blue button on the lead's profile page.
- As we recall from creating a lead, all you needed was a name. If that's all you have in the lead profile, only a person record will be created from the conversion.
- If you want to create a company, enter a name in the 'Company' field.
- If you want to create an opportunity, make sure the 'create an opportunity for this contact' box is checked and fill in the 'Opportunity Name' and other details.
- When you're done filling in the person, company and/or opportunity details, click 'convert.'
Note: It's not possible to convert a person back to a lead, but we do have a few workarounds to help you if you get stuck.
This is what the 'People' landing page looks like:
You can customize the 'People' landing page to get more meaningful data from it. Let's explore each of these customization functions.
The dropdown menu in the upper right of the page lets you filter your list of people for the ones most relevant to you right now. The funnel icon in the upper left lets you see a list of the filters that are currently applied. You can change the filters on either side.
The blue 'Add New' button lets you create a new person record from scratch. If you click the downward arrow to the right of it, you can create a new lead or import existing people into ProsperWorks.
The 'Search' bar in the green top banner lets you search all records in ProsperWorks from the 'People' list view. The smaller magnifying glass in the upper left corner of the list view searches only people.
Still have questions?
Still have questions? Ask in our Community, and get answers from our Customer Success Team as well as fellow users.