An opportunity is a specific business goal. You might call it a deal or a sale. Maybe you're trying to sell a few seats in a software license or a bulk order of custom tee-shirts.
In this module, we'll tackle the following
An opportunity represents any kind of business development effort that you want to track. Opportunities are moved through a series of business stages you define, which are known as your pipeline. Each opportunity typically moves in the same order through your pipeline, though you can skip stages.
An Opportunity could represent the sale of a product, billings associated with services, or an activity that has no direct monetary value, like increasing your press coverage.
Your process could be simple, for example, Identified > Quote Sent > Closed Won/Closed Lost, or it could be complex where you move it to another Pipeline after it has been won.
ProsperWorks allows you to create your own customized process and visually move your opportunities through each stage, allowing you to see how much is in the pipeline and take action accordingly.
What is the business deal you hope to close? Is it placing a job-seeker in a position? Soliciting a donation? Making a sale? Write down your answer to this question before you set out to create opportunities.
To create an opportunity, follow the instructions below:
- Sign into your ProsperWorks account and click 'Opportunities' from the lefthand navigation bar.
- Click the blue 'Add New' button.
- You're required to give this opportunity a name. Enter the name.
- You're also required to add a Primary contact. As you type the name of the primary contact, the system will either find a match with an existing record or allow you to create a new record from the name if no match is found. If the system does find a matching person record, the company associated with the person record will be added to the opportunity automatically.
- Every other default field on the box that appears is optional:
6. Click 'Save.'
Once an opportunity has been created, the resulting record looks like this:
Your opportunity sits in your pipeline (highlighted in red on the left). You can click on the opportunity in the pipeline to see more information about it (highlighted in red at the right).
Under 'Details,' you'll see all the default and custom fields you filled out to create the opportunity.
Under 'Activity,' you'll see your interaction stats, which help keep you on track with the pace at which this opportunity moves through your pipeline. Below that you have your activity log, where you can see the details of updates that have happened on the opportunity record. You can @mention other users to follow up on this opportunity or take action on a task associated with this opportunity. You can also filter this log to see relevant events.