By default, most of the fields on your ProsperWorks records are optional for users to fill out. If your business requires information from the default or custom fields in these records, you can make those fields required when the record is being created.
In this module, we'll tackle the following:
Here are some things to note about required fields:
- You cannot create a new record (person, company, opportunity, lead, project or task) from scratch without filling out all required fields.
- You cannot convert a lead to a person without filling out all required fields on the person record.
- You cannot convert a lead to a person with an associated opportunity without filling out all required fields on the person or opportunity record.
- You can convert a lead to a person with an associated company record and not fill out all the required fields on the company record. You still have to fill out all the required fields on the person record, though.
- You can bypass required fields if you import records via a file or our API.
We recommend creating three required fields or less to start, so your workflow doesn't become overly complicated. To decide what fields should be required, ask yourself what your reporting goals will be in the end of all this information-gathering. The fields you track most heavily or those most closely aligned with your team's goals are the ones you should require.
There are a few easy steps to enable Required Fields for you account:
1. Sign into your ProsperWorks account and click 'Settings' in the lefthand menu.
2. Scroll down to 'Customize ProsperWorks' and click 'Field Rules.'
3. The resulting 'Field Rules' page looks like this:
Across the top of the page you'll see the record types you can create required fields for: people, companies, opportunities, tasks, projects and leads. (Under the 'Opportunities' record, you'll see a dropdown above the fields if you have multiple pipelines. This lets you set different rules for different pipelines).
You will see a dropdown to the right of each field under a record. Select 'Required on create' from the drop-down to make the field required.
4. You don't have to click a save button because your changes are saved automatically when you change the drop-down selection.
Now that you've selected required fields, your users will see an error message when they try to create a record without filling in all required fields.